The Standing Committee of the EFTA States serves as a forum in which the EEA EFTA States consult one another and arrive at a common position before meeting with the EU in the EEA Joint Committee.
It consists of the Ambassadors to the EU of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway, and observers from Switzerland and the EFTA Surveillance Authority. The Committee’s substructure consists of five subcommittees, under which there are several working groups. The Internal Market is governed by the so-called four freedoms, enabling the free movement of goods,services, capital and persons in the EEA, the five Subcommittees manages these four freedoms:
- Subcommittee I - Free Movement of Goods
- Subcommittee II - Free Movement of Capital and Services
- Subcommittee III - Free Movement of Persons
- Subcommittee IV - Flanking and Horizontal Policies
- Subcommittee V - Legal and Institutional Matters