The EFTA Statistical Office (ESO) jointly organised with the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) the Online Expert Meeting on Population and Housing Censuses on 19 and 20 May 2021.
The main purposes of the meeting were to facilitate exchange of experience among countries, to increase knowledge of issues related to planning and conducting population and housing censuses, and to promote the development and implementation of the CES Recommendations for the Censuses of Population and Housing.
Around 60 countries were represented at the meeting. Volker Täube, the Director of ESO, opened the event along with his colleagues from UNECE and UNFPA.
The topics of this insightful meeting included:
- First results and lessons learned from the 2020 round;
- Identifying best practices for risk assessment, contingency planning and emergency response in censuses;
- Transitioning to register-based censuses beyond the 2020 round;
- Dissemination and communication before, during and after censuses;
- Leaving no-one behind: equity and inclusion of minority groups in censuses;
- Future work: advancing the Steering Group’s work plan for developing the 2030 Recommendations on Population and Housing Censuses.
This form of international cooperation is an excellent way to share knowledge and experience that can benefit the quality of statistics across the world. We would therefore thank all of the meeting participants for sharing their experiences and insights on these topics during the meeting.
More information on the meeting can be found here.
- Today we celebrate the National Day of #Iceland 🇮🇸 On 17 June 1944 the Republic of Iceland was formed. Gleðilegan… https://t.co/riaqWZBzuv — 2 hours 13 min ago
- #Iceland's Prime Minister @katrinjak & Foreign Minister @GudlaugurThor were impressed with the great potential the… https://t.co/lbM6T0UxYH — 23 hours 58 min ago
- The #EFTA Council met today to review the latest developments in #trade relations and the EFTA-EU cooperation. Rea… https://t.co/7iA8Prc4Qc — 1 day 19 hours ago