Traineeships are offered at the EFTA Secretariat for 11 months and the Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) for 12 months, from 1 September until 31 July and from 1 September until 31 August respectively.
We are looking for engaged young professionals or recent graduates from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland (EFTA Member State nationals) for 11-month traineeships at the EFTA Secretariat.
The Financial Mechanism Office (FMO - EEA Grants / Norway Grants) offers 12-month traineeships for graduates wanting to learn more about grants management. With approximately 18 European nationalities represented in the FMO, the selected trainees gain experience in an international working environment. Traineeships at the FMO are open to nationals of the EEA EFTA States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) as well as to nationals of the EU Member States.
Traineeships are advertised under Current Vacancies in February. The deadline for applications is in March.
Applications have to be submitted via the EFTA online recruitment tool when the vacancies are published. Only applications submitted via our web tool will be considered.
Shortlisted candidates are contacted by phone. Interviews are normally conducted via Skype.
Applicants are required to specify their preferred field of work when applying.
The selected trainees may be assigned to duties and functions other than those initially requested.
Purpose of the traineeships
The aim of the traineeships is to provide junior civil servants and other qualified applicants with opportunities for training and familiarisation with the work and functions of the EFTA Secretariat and the FMO.
Trainees take part in the daily work of the different departments of EFTA. They gain valuable work experience by assisting case handlers with ongoing activities and have the opportunity to live and work in a thriving multicultural environment.
Field of work
A short overview of the EFTA’s organisational structure and the related trainee posts can be found here. Please make sure you read this document before applying.
The trainees will be assigned to a specific division of the EFTA Secretariat or the FMO according to academic field of specialisation, personal preferences and career objectives.
Posts are offered within the following divisions, fields of work and duty stations:
- General / Policy Coordination (IMD and ECD), Brussels
- Information / Communication (SGO), Brussels
- Legal Affairs (IMD and ECD), Brussels
- Statistics (ESO), Luxembourg
- Economics and General / Policy Coordination (SGO), Geneva
- Legal Affairs
- Finance and Control
- Administration and Human Resources
- Results and Evaluation
- Priority Sectors
- Funds and Horizontal Concerns
- Country and Bilateral Cooperation
The following criteria are taken into account:
- University degree within law, economics, political science, international relations or other relevant and equivalent experience. Knowledge of standard office IT applications (Microsoft Office).
- Current occupation, experience and career objectives.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English; a good working knowledge of French is an advantage.
- An analytical mind with ability to draft good quality documents in English. A flexible and motivated team player and capable of taking on a wide variety of tasks, both complex and more basic.
- Geographical distribution and gender balance.
Trainees are assigned to either the EFTA Secretariat Office in Brussels, the Financial Mechanism Office in Brussels, the EFTA Secretariat Headquarters in Geneva (Secretary General’s Office - general trainee) or the EFTA Statistical Office in Luxembourg.
Trainees receive a flat monthly allowance of EUR 1 570 if stationed in Brussels or Luxembourg, and of CHF 2 430 if stationed in Geneva.
Accommodation in individual flats will be provided by EFTA.
For any further information, please contact EFTA Human Resources:
Ms Eveline Snauwaert, firstname.lastname@example.org +32 (0)2 286 17 07 (EFTA Secretariat)
Ms Aida Mansour, email@example.com +32 (0)2 286 17 50 (FMO)