Traineeships are offered at the EFTA Secretariat and the Financial Mechanism Office (FMO) for 10 months, starting on 1 September till 30 June.
Traineeships are advertised under Current Vacancies in April. Deadline for applications is in May.
Purpose of the traineeships
The aim of the traineeships is to provide junior civil servants and other qualified applicants with opportunities for training and familiarisation with the work and functions of the EFTA Secretariat and the FMO.
Field of work
The trainees will be assigned to a specific division of the EFTA Secretariat or the FMO according to academic field of specialisation, personal preferences and career objectives.
Posts are offered within the following divisions, fields of work and duty stations:
• Secretary General’s Office – communication (Brussels) and general (Geneva)
• EEA Coordination Division – general and legal (Brussels)
• Goods Division – general (Brussels)
• Services, Capital, Persons and Programmes Division – general (Brussels)
• Communication and Reporting
A short overview of the EFTA’s organisational structure and the related trainee posts can be found here.
Candidates need to specify their preferred division, field of work and duty station when applying.
The following criteria are taken into account:
• University degree within law, economics, political science, international relations or other relevant and equivalent experience. Knowledge of standard office IT applications (Microsoft Office).
• Current occupation, experience and career objectives.
• Fluency in both written and spoken English; a good working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• An analytical mind with ability to draft good quality documents in English. A flexible and motivated team player and capable of taking on a wide variety of tasks, both complex and more basic.
• Geographical distribution and gender balance.
Trainees are assigned to either the EFTA Secretariat Office in Brussels, the Financial Mechanism Office in Brussels or the EFTA Secretariat Headquarters in Geneva (Secretary General’s Office - general trainee).
Traineeships at the EFTA Secretariat are open to nationals of the EFTA Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland).
Traineeships at the FMO are open to nationals of the EFTA Member States as well as to nationals of the EU Member States.
Trainees receive a flat monthly allowance (net of taxes) of EUR 1 445 if stationed in Brussels, and of CHF 2 394 if stationed in Geneva. Accommodation in individual flats will be provided by EFTA.
Applications have to be submitted via the EFTA online recruitment tool when the vacancies are published. Only applications submitted to our web tool will be considered.
Shortlisted candidates are contacted by phone. Interviews are normally conducted via Skype.
For any further information, please contact EFTA Human Resources: