On 8 September 2016, 135 participants from both the public and private sectors met at the EFTA Secretariat in Brussels for an introductory seminar on the European Economic Area (EEA).
Representatives of the EFTA Secretariat, Financial Mechanism Office, EFTA Surveillance Authority and EFTA Court gave presentations on the day-to-day operation and management of the EEA Agreement. Topics discussed included the reasoning behind the Agreement, the legal framework, recent developments in the EEA and potential future challenges.
This biannual seminar is intended primarily for those who work on EEA-related matters in national administrations, EU and EFTA institutions, permanent representations and missions to the EU, or in other organisations. As the seminar attracted more participants than ever before, EFTA had to close registrations a week before. For those who could not attend for this reason, it is worth highlighting that registration is already open for the next seminar, which will take place on 7 February 2017. Please find the registration form here.
EFTA would like to thank all the speakers and participants for making the seminar a success.
Find high resolution photos from the seminar here.
- Introduction to the EEA Agreement - Dag Wernø Holter, Deputy Secretary-General, EFTA Secretariat
- How the EEA Agreement works - Thorfinnur Omarsson, Head of Communication, EFTA Secretariat
- How EU law becomes EEA law - Kyrre Isaksen, Head of EEA Legal Coordination, EFTA Secretariat
- How EEA and Norway Grants reduce disparities and strengthen cooperation in Europe - Eva Thóra Karlsdóttir, Communication Officer, EEA Grants and Norway Grants
- How EEA law is enforced - Carsten Zatschler, Director of Legal & Executive Affairs, EFTA Surveillance Authority
- How EEA law is interpreted - Gunnar Selvik, Registrar, EFTA Court
- A student group from @UniBasel visited the EFTA Secretariat today to learn more about #EFTA and the #EEA agreement https://t.co/SeGp9py7Ey — 2 days 16 hours ago
- The 50th #EEA #Council will take place on Tuesday next week. On the agenda is #Brexit and the European Pillar of So… https://t.co/8EwEUY1UOh — 2 days 18 hours ago
- The #EFTA Subcommittee V on Legal and Institutional Matters met today in #Brussels. On the agenda were issues such… https://t.co/b0zWit77Bd — 3 days 14 hours ago